Tuesday 9 August 2011

More Holidays!

So another weekend has gone by and I have yet again achieved zero crafting (even with carrying knitting round in my handbag all weekend!).
Instead I have had a wonderful and very busy two days in York with members of my family.

After an overnight coach journey and a stint of window shopping (not due to lack of cash just because the window displays are so lovely) we started our tourist extravaganza with a visit to an archaelogical dig in Hunsgate.

Its coming towards the end of the dig but we could see Victorian drains and wells, Viking store houses and Roman graves - and this was considered an empty bit of York.

Next was what was possibly the highlight of the trip for me - the Quilt Museum curated by the UK Quilter's Guild (which I have decided to join).  Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any photos but for a small museum (in one of York's many 16thC ish guildhouses) there was plenty to see  - wedding dresses covered in trapunto, celebratory quilts from the 1800s onwards, stunning modern quilts and some mono mini quilts.  If you want a peek click here - Quilt Museum - I will definitely be paying another visit when next in York.  This was followed by sitting and watching the world go by in the sun and then a very pleasant meal in what I think may be my favourite restaurant -Cafe Concerto.

Whilst waiting for the others to arrive on Saturday morning I couldn't resist photographing some of the Minster's gargoyles...




Unfortunately it was quite a gloomy day.  So the mostly indoor National Railway Museum was a welcome place to visit.  It's an absolutely massive place with a wide range of, obviously, train related exhibits and a really little tank engine giving rides.

A really good weekend with a trip to a craft shop snuck in, although even with two cameras at my disposal I seem to have taken next to no photos.  Even though we were busy the whole time there is still plenty that I haven't yet seen in York so I predict another visit in the near future.

As well as some serious (and late) Spring cleaning I have another enjoyable trip planned for next weekend - hopefully accompanied with lots of photos!

1 comment:

Impera Magna said...

Looks as if you're getting a lot of fun in during your holidays! The archalogical dig looks fascinating...