Friday, 14 July 2017

Quilting the monster sized wedding quilt

I've finally bit the bullet and started quilting the giant wedding quilt.  I was just intending to quilt it with a grid (and now I've started it may have been the most sensible idea!) but instead I'm free motion stippling.

I'm using variegated thread for the top which perfectly matches the fabrics I used in the quilt. 

Manipulating the quilt is a little tricky due to size and the fact I'm using a little table which doesn't support the quilt.  But it's fitting through the machine's throat okay.

I'm liking how it's working out, although going slowly.

The only issue is due to the dragging of the weight of the quilt I'm getting loops on the back.

Not ideal but I don't think I can avoid them.

Friday, 30 June 2017

On a roll...

Managed to get another afternoon for sewing and I feel I made the most of it.

The plan for today was to finish off what I cut out last week and for once my sewing went totally to plan.

Got a kindle cover (somewhat tight) and a tablet cover (not so tight) made using the kindle sleeve tutorial from A Blue Sky Kind of Life. Seems quite an easy tutorial to follow, simple to adapt for different devices and ends up with a nice finished item. First time I've ever top stitched anything too.

I also managed to get the binding machine sewn onto my Xmas quilt, doing a bit of hand sewing on it this evening if my fingers dong cramp up too much! 

Friday, 23 June 2017

Cutting not only corners

Had a few hours to myself this afternoon so I decided to make best use of them cutting fabrics for various projects.

Nowhere near the best of photos, but by the time I'd finished I had cut the binding for the Xmas quilt, the components for two Kindle cases and one tablet case. Quite pleased with the amount of progress in a limited time. Now I just need to find time to get my sewing machine out!

Saturday, 17 June 2017

FNSI Results for June

So I haven't taken part in a FNSI in forever, but last night I came back with a vengeance, although, as is almost always the case, I didn't achieve as much as I planned.

I was home alone last night so I started at 5pm and went through till 11pm with breaks for dinner and teas. 

The main aim of the night was to layer up and quilt my Christmas quilt. This was achieved, unfortunately I couldn't do the binding as it turned out I didn't have the fabric for it. Off to buy that today.

I seem to have forgotten how to layer a quilt and this is evident from the back, it's annoying but as it's a seasonal quilt and for me I will live with it.

How did everyone get on?

Thursday, 23 February 2017

365 Challenge - Week One

So I'm about seven weeks behind the sew along but I have finally finished the first seven days of the 365 Challenge.

So far so doable, starting with simple squares and rectangles. Each block is 3.5 inches and supposed to be the darker side of the spectrum.

I am going to try topost seven blocks a week, I'm not sure I'll make it and I'm certain I won't be able to make a block a day. First steps are to try and catch up.

If you want to see what the colourways the other challenge members are using and what the current blocks look like there is a Facebook page - 365 Challenge Quilt Blocks

Tuesday, 14 February 2017

365 Challenge...the delayed start

I found out about the 365 Challenge midway through January and what with sourcing fabric, general life and finishing the baby quilt I've only just managed to start.

The 365 Challenge is a sampler quilt that aims for you to make either a 3.5 or 6.5 inch block a day - full details at the 365 Challenge website. I'm not entirely sure I'll manage a block a day but I'll give it a go.

A large quantity of fabric is required, as is expected with a 90 inch square quilt. I've decided to go for black, white and grey and have bought an initial 5 metres (I think) of fabrics.

I'm probably going to buy a few more fat quarters as I go, the quilt relies on tonality a lot so I probably need to broaden my range a bit. I'm also toying with including an accent fabric at some point, not sure when or what colour yet.

I've made the first two blocks tonight...

I'm starting from 1st January as the blocks seem to get progressively more complex and build on previously learned far so good I think.

Sunday, 12 February 2017

First finish of 2017

I have finally finished the baby quilt that I started at the end of last year. A bad run of colds and Christmas really slowed me down but at least the recipient isn't yet three months old so it's not that late.

The fabric is Vintage Circus by Lewis and Irene

and the pattern is the zig zag quilt from a quilt is nice blog. Found it a little tricky to get the seams to meet up but otherwise I'm really pleased with this quilt, especially the binding corners.